Sunday, August 1, 2010

Biting The Big Apple - Part Two

Day Two: The next morning, fresh from sleeping in, James, Anand (his roommate), and I headed for Agua Dulce - a Latin influenced place that immediately sold me on its brunch menu. Meeting up with Daniel and Joyce on the way, we were quickly seated without any kind of wait for a table.

Torn between the Agua Dulce Benedicto (their version of eggs benedict - soft braised pork, lightly poached egg, fresh jalapeno cornbread with a chili lime hollandaise) and the Torreja de Media Noche (their version of french toast - Latin style french toast, thin sliced ham, swiss cheese, topped with a fried egg), I opted for the latter, which looked a little something like this:


Can't really see the ham and swiss in the above photo, but trust me, it was there. Pretty rich stuff, but boy was it good. When I got a forkful of all the components (after taking it for a syrup dunk, of course), I knew I had made the right decision. Almost finished the whole thing, but was ultimately hindered by the trio of guacamoles Anand (who's vegetarian) forced us to order and eat beforehand.


I remember one tasting fairly traditional, one a little tangy, and the other with a spicy kick - all were good, though (liked it more than I thought I would). Washed it all down with some cranberry juice (the perfect drink to cut through all the richness and balance things out) before heading back out into the blazing heat. Here are a couple more pictures from the meal, specifically that spin on eggs benedict I mentioned before, which I believe James and Joyce each ordered:



Later that day, after a lengthy discussion on where to go for dinner, we settled on Niko's Mediterranean Grill and Bistro, a proven winner which we had all dined at before (with the possible exception of Joyce). Although primarily a Greek restaurant, I knew their brick oven pizza would satisfy my craving for Italian. We started things off with gorgonzola garlic bread that's served in a "vat of cheese", as my sister Julia affectionately refers to it (she has eaten there before, too). A standard whenever eating at Niko's, we gobbled it up fairly quickly, barely leaving enough time for me to snap a photo (note the nearly empty bowl on the top-left). We also ordered a grilled octopus appetizer, which was a slam dunk, as well. Don't let the notion of eating octopus throw you too much if you encounter it - trust me, you'll be glad you took the plunge in the end. It was like that for me with calamari - I was unjustly wary for the longest time, and now I'm crazy about it.



For the entrees, we had a lot of variety: I ordered a whole pizza for myself (very thin-sliced, though - doubt I would've been able to handle anything but) with sausage and shrimp on top, among other things. Never had shrimp on pizza before, but the option was there, so I figured I'd make an adventure out of it. Daniel got some pasta dish I can't quite remember, Joyce got a jumbo shrimp kabob, and James got a lobster tail special which sold out shortly after we ordered.




Don't let my glum expression of that last candid fool you - everything was delicious. The shrimp weren't super incorporated into the pizza/sauce (they served as more of a garnish for the top), but I was still happy with the addition. We all gorged ourselves silly over good conversation, including a debate on whether one should eat meat if they're truly unable to stomach the sight of how the animals are treated prior to being shipped to restaurants and served. Anand didn't join us this time around, so there were no vegetarians at the table - it was just an interesting discussion. I probably ate the most at this meal than any other on the trip, so I was pretty proud of myself - even had room to go in on some tiramisu with everyone, much to my surprise.



Shot glasses of wine (dessert wine, I believe) were brought out with the check, which was a very nice touch and the perfect capper to an already-stellar meal. All in all, it was a great day for my taste buds, leaving only one more before my return home.

Next up: The third and final day!

3 comments:

  1. I could eat ANYTHING breakfast, any time of day (though, at the time of posting this, I am opting for a burger in lieu of am omelette cause I didn't want to fuck around with all the prep) and that french toast sucker up there looks BOMB!!!! I think I need to hit the kitchen sometime soon and copy that recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AGUA DUUUUULCE... MUST GO... both dishes look AMAZING! OMG I'm sooo making eggs tomorrow... still haven't mastered the poached egg yet, though, so eggs benedict is tough. Wow, those just look sooo yummy!

    Good for Anand for making you guys get guac. It's one of my favorite things... delicious, completely vegan and sooo simple to make. (Buy lots of avocados, slice into them and scrape out the innards. Mix in minced garlic, cilantro, diced tomatoes... anything that floats your boat... tastes great! such a crowd-pleaser!)

    Can't go wrong with Niko's... I dream of it. Look at how much cheese you guys left over from the bread. For shame. That would never happen if I were there.

    Jam, you're wearing the Ghana jersey!!!! Thought you hated Ghana!!!!

    Personally, I don't think people should eat animals if they don't truly understand where they came from/what happened to them--would you be willing to knock a cow in the middle of its head with a hammer until it died? Cut off a live chick's beak? Boil animals alive? Or would you even be able to watch? If not, you probably shouldn't be eating animals... at least hunters can shoot what they eat themselves and know where it came from/what it took to put food on that plate. Eating meat is NOT evil or wrong, but it's not magic either--as Tom Colicchio would say, it's a sacrifice (and to that I will add, not only the sacrifice of lives but also of ecosystems and our planet's health as a whole).

    And for the record, at work, I handle bloody horsemeat, stuff pills down dead chick's throats, cut whole fish into slices with scissors, thaw cow parts, and inject dead mice with meds... so I can handle the gore. It's still not worth the sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like Julia beat you to it, Smiles - here are some pics of her spin on that Agua Dulce french toast dish (minus the ham, of course):

    http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg76/samseed85/Food/sandwich001.jpg

    http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg76/samseed85/Food/sandwich009.jpg

    http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg76/samseed85/Food/sandwich006.jpg

    Regarding the discussion, of course I'm for awareness - no one should remain ignorant of the unpleasant facts behind a carnivorous lifestyle. However, just because someone personally couldn't handle bludgeoning a live cow over the head doesn't mean they should refrain from eating meat. I certainly couldn't, and I don't think that makes me a hypocrite.

    ReplyDelete