Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Biting The Big Apple

Went to New York this past weekend and, as is always the case, much of the trip was centered around eating/restaurants (wouldn't have it any other way). Had a nice variety of some really good dishes, so I thought I'd give you a picture-filled recap of my recent dining adventure:

Day One: Arrived at the airport with some time to kill before departure, so I decided to hit the food court prior to going through security. Forgoing my usual airport tradition of scarfing down a McGriddle, I instead opted for a calzone from Giorgio's (not sure if they're connected to this Giorgio's - a fantastic New York-style pizzeria that I'm a big fan of). Made sense, as I'm usually there with family or friends, which almost always necessitates going in on a whole pizza, leaving the mouthwatering calzones for another visit - this was the perfect opportunity.



Got the stromboli kind with hot cheese on the side (instead of tomato sauce - a wise decision, although I was initially unsure). Absolutely delicious, and I was glad the calzone had lived up to my grand expectations (hadn't had one for years, but remembered them being pretty damn good). Glad I saved the McGriddle for another time.

First restaurant in New York was originally going to be The Spotted Pig - a gastropub in the West Village, famous for having one of the best burgers in the city. It also has a reputation for being incredibly difficult to get a table, but we figured we had a shot if we got there before 7:00 (also, the city's not as crowded in the summer, upping our chances even more). Alas, our party of six guaranteed a wait around the tune of two hours, which, in the 90 degree-plus weather we were having, simply wasn't an option. We then set our sights on RUB (Righteous Urban BBQ), which was just a short walk away. My brothers who reside in NYC claim it to be the best BBQ in the city, although upon hearing this claim, a friend of mine said it's more likely that honor belongs to a place in a different borough (not sure if my brothers are referring to just Manhattan or all of New York when they say "city"). In any case, RUB seemed like a solid plan B, so we made our way there after a brief stop at Magnolia Bakery for some post-dinner cupcakes. The players for this meal consisted of myself, my friend Troy, brothers James and Daniel, as well as their respective girlfriends, Diane and Joyce. Some candid shots of the group:






The food was good, if a little heavy - but hey, it's BBQ. Appetizers consisted of hushpuppies (which I've never had outside of Long John Silver's - for shame), thick-cut bacon bits, onion rings snagged from Joyce's plate, and something else which escapes my memory - all fantastic. I had an excellent pulled pork sandwich as my entree, but in retrospect, perhaps I just should have had the pulled pork by itself with maybe another meat on the side (I think the bread of the sandwich filled me up quicker than I would have liked, and at BBQ, it's all about the meat).



The traveling with a hefty backpack, intensive walking, 90 degree weather, hefty BBQ meal, and dehydration (I downed several cokes, but little to no water) resulted in me leaving RUB a bloated, tired, and hot mess, but a great time was had by all and it served as a fitting celebratory feast to kick off my visit.

Next: Day Two!

10 comments:

  1. how could you forget the third appetizer? the chili cheese fritos, still in the bag!!

    diane and i are stil gonna try spotted pig for that burger. well report back via our burger blog once we do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OM NOM NOM NOM--

    everything looks delicious!

    I almost never get calzones at airports/food courts because I anticipate loads of cheese and other fillings and it always ends up being mostly dough. LAME. But yours looks decently filled! And, as un-foodie as it is to say this, I love nacho cheese sauce. So, what of it??? The best calzone I've had is at Slice (http://www.slicepizzeria.com/) here in NOLA.

    What is a gastropub? Sounds yucky, as in gastrointestinal...

    I want cupcakes from Magnolia Bakery! mmmmmm... (and BTW, it should be "pre" dinner cupcakes if you had them before dinner)

    Sometimes even though you leave feeling like a hot mess, it can be the mark of a good meal. That's why you have to walk afterwards and carry a water bottle with you :)

    can't wait for day 2!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Julia, we bought the cupcakes to be eaten as dessert after BBQ, since Magnolia was right around the corner from Spotted Pig, and there was no line... Didn't want to fill up our tummies before the feast of meat...

    As I was not part of days 2-3, I'm also eagerly waiting to see how you liked the other meals Jeff! (hint Kati roll?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, that was it - forgot about the chili cheese fritos, but I don't think I had too many. Was too busy scarfing down da bacon bits (my apologies to Daniel, who wasn't left ANY)!

    Yeah, those doughy calzones are the suck - your description rang a bell, I must've had them sometime before. Not at Giorgio's, though (and by the way, nacho cheese never goes out of style)! Slice might have to make the agenda if I make it out to NOLA...

    I think "gastropub" makes a place sound appealing, personally. It's basically combining a pub with gastronomy ("the study of the relationship between culture and food"), and concentrating on quality food in general. And yes, as Diane mentioned, we bought the cupcakes before and then ate them after, so my grammar was technically correct (I know the difference between "pre" and "post", geez...). By the way, the smell of that small bakery? AMAZING, as you could probably guess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. bo's thought process:

    gastro => intestines => shit.

    sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Motherfucker is that a red velvet cupcake? Sooooo Tight! Makes me so upset that as times have changed so many things back here have simply closed their doors (Crawford's Bakery :-/). Must be amazing (and also frustrating) that places amazing small bakeries and food joints can bring in that kind of business.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good eye, that is indeed a red velvet (so was the other in that empty slot, I believe). Actually, Diane originally wanted all six to be red velvet, but James and I insisted on mixing it up for variety's sake.

    Also, James (forever the hater) maintains that red velvet cupcakes are nothing more than regular (or maybe chocolate) cupcakes with red food dye. Ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pfft, if it's done right, its more like raspberry cake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For the record (JAM) red velvet cupcakes are NOT just regular colored with dye. They have a unique flavor and are traditionally served with cream cheese frosting. I know this because I make red velvet cookies and cake truffles!

    And my apologies to Jeff re: "pre" vs. "post." I know you know the difference; thought you just made a typing mistake and I like editing! The egg is on my face! (very appropriate for a food blog)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmmmm, red velvet cupcakes and cake truffles...

    ...so when are you moving into my apartment again?

    ReplyDelete